Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Shackleton's Stowaway by Victoria McKernan


A fictionalized account of the adventures of eighteen-year-old Perce Blackborow, who stowed away for the 1914 Shackleton Antarctic expedition and, after their ship Endurance was crushed by ice, endured many hardships, including the loss of the toes of his left foot to frostbite, during the nearly two-year return journey across sea and ice.

I have long been fascinated by the Ernest Shackleton expedition on the Edurance. For all the hardships they suffered, not one man died, which is really incredible. After all, Robert Scott, the man credited with being the first to reach the South Pole, died on his expedition. Even more incredible is that when expedition members wrote about their experiences afterwards, their descriptions of Antarctica were of its beauty not its dangers. I was really looking forward to reading this book, but it never grabbed me like I hoped it would and I didn't finish it.

What about you? Did the story pick up? Should I go back and give it another ty?

No comments:

Recent Comments