Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney by Suzanne Harper


In Lily Dale, New York, a community dedicated to the religion of Spiritualism, tenth-grader Sparrow Delaney, the youngest daughter in an eccentric family of psychics, agonizes over whether or not to reveal her special abilities in order to help a friend.

There really is a Lily Dale, New York, and it is populated by mediums, psychics, and spiritualists. I've been there. Yes, I was one of those tourists who attended some workshops during one of the summer symposiums. We didn't book a private reading, and no one had any messages for me during the big public meeting (which was held outdoors in the woods rather than the auditorium that Sparrow describes.) Having visited there added a little bit to my experience of reading this book--I could actually picture the charming old houses with their gardens.

But you don't have to know about Lily Dale in order to enjoy this book, which is a good ghost story with a touch of romance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi i was just looking up "lily Dale" on my computer because it was the setting in my book i was reading and i read this and i am holding the same book! i just finished it today and i loved the ending! i thought for a pretty large book it really didnt take me long to read because it was so interesting that i couldnt put it down.i absolutely love this book! and i am thinking of travling to Lily Dale myself to see what its all about. But living in Washington, it would be quite expensive so i probably will never go there but reading about it is alright too!

smaileh said...

If you get a chance to go to Lily Dale, I think you will enjoy it. I would recommend that you go during the summer season when there is more activity. It is a beautiful little Victorian town. We stayed in the hotel there in town which was built in the late 1800's. There is a small lake with swans right in front of the hotel. I remember it as being very peaceful and calm there. Until you actually get there, you might enjoy reading a book called "Lily Dale: The True Story of the Town that Talks to the Dead" by Christine Wicker. It was in reading this book that I first heard about Lily Dale.

Recent Comments